What I Infer (I think….., Maybe ……..)
- We use our observations and our questions to infer what is not written in the text
- We are like detectives looking for cluse and evidence to hope us think about what it might mean (Schema + Evidence = Inference)
- What is my interpretation of the text?
- We need to think about
- – What is it that our observations are telling us about the character? What inferences can I make? Eg. age, personality, how they feel
- – What is it that our observations are telling us about the setting? What inferences can I make? Eg. time, place, does the setting give me any helpful information about the characters?
- – What is it that our observations are telling us about the possible problem in the story?
Good readers infer. They observe details in the text, ask questions and then use their schema and evidence from the text / picture to infer what is not directly written in the text.